For the past month or so, I’ve been fighting with my doctors office and insurance company to be able to use Rituxan for my lupus. My doctor wants to try it since three years of Benlysta didn’t work for me. My insurance company denied the Rituxan twice. My doctors office, of course appealed, and they still denied it. I was so pissed off at my appointment with my doctor in May, that I decided to file a claim with Managed Healthcare to fight my insurance company. I am trying to be proactive.
At my rheumy appointment this month, my doctor decided that since we can’t use Rituxan because of the insurance, that we’d try IVIG. I was all for it, as I really need something to make me feel better because I’ve been sick in bed so much lately. I called the doctors office this morning to see if they’d gotten the authorization for the IVIG. Guess what I found out? They got the authorization for the IVIG last week, but decided not to start me on it, due to the fact that I filed the claim with the state to get the Rituxan. They didn’t even call me to tell me about the IVIG, or give me the option of deciding which medication I wanted to try. They told me that the doctor wants to wait now to see if I win my fight with my insurance company for the Rituxan. I could’ve already been on the road to recovery if my doctors office would’ve called me and given me a choice. I am so beyond furious right now. I have no idea how much longer it’ll be for my claim to get approved or denied. These doctors and insurance companies are going to put me into an early grave if they don’t get their shit together!